Wednesday, May 17

Comfortable

Back in February A asked me in the car one day, "Mom, what should I do my QUEST Independent Project on?"  I sat for a second and before I knew it the words "fibular hemimelia" were coming out of my mouth.  It's a subject that's taken years for me to be able to talk about without crying.  Seven years to be more exact.  And now I'm telling A to teach not only his class but the whole school about it?!  What in the world?

Well A took my suggestion and ran with it.  The only condition...he had to get permission from J to tell the whole story.  What did J say?  "SURE!  Want me to show them my little foot?"  LOL!  

About 6 weeks later I walked in to the QUEST class to hear A present his research about fibular hemimelia.  As I sat and listened to A tell the facts and chances of this condition I realized how lucky we are.  J isn't a victim...in some ways he won the lottery.  Something like 1 in 40,000 babies (don't quote me, I'm guessing) are born with this condition.  J is not as severe as it could be and it definitely doesn't stop him!  

A was very well spoken about his topic and the room was dead silent as he told them that his little brother has this rare "defect".  The most touching part was watching him show the class the actual x-rays of J's leg and how they have changed over the years.  But then I was asked questions and I was nervous!  I've never really spoken about it to a large group, granted they're kids and that's where I am most comfortable but I was still a little shaky.  We told them about how we thought we were going to have to amputate J's leg, now we watch it grow and someday he'll need surgery.  I think this was interesting for the kids because everyone knows J now that he's at the school with them.


So a month later A stood next to his board as the school was invited to the QUEST fair.  Again, I couldn't believe we are at a place where we are comfortable talking about this subject that used to be so sensitive.  I was proud of A but I was proud of myself.  I've prayed about this moment for years.  To be in a place where I can talk about this openly, without crying...the strength I've prayed for for years!


All these years I've asked for strength...but the one who lives with it...the one who will have to endure it...and the one who will have to bare the cross...is fine with it.


No comments: