Saturday, October 11

A Little Bigger

Last weekend Z asked, "Daddy, will you tell me about Star Wars?" M was at a loss for words. How do you describe Star Wars - the entire story - to a 4 year old. He did explain a little and then I suggested we look at Barnes and Noble for a book.

Sunday we picked up a small, easy chapter book about The Clone Wars. That night M and Z read the first 5 chapters. When Z got home from school on Monday he begged me to read the next few chapter to him. I said, "That is your special book to share with Daddy. He'll read more to you when he is finished working." Z was a little deflated but he accepted my answer. So Monday night they finished the book.

Wednesday we went looking for Halloween costumes. Z had already decided he wanted to be a Clone Trooper. Since we bought the costume, he has worn it every single chance he gets. If I let him, I know he'd sleep in it!

So why did he start asking about Star Wars? A boy at school has a Star Wars lunch box. We've embraced it and talked about as much of the story as we think he can handle. Last night we actually watched an episode on the Cartoon Network. It was our first and last. Just a little more than we think is appropriate for now. He'll be totally into it someday and that's fine. But he's 4 and we'd like him to stay innocent for a little longer. No need to push.

So Star Wars it is right now. My little boy is now into little boy things...

No comments: