Saturday, July 12

Where Are They Now?

This is our version of Oprah's big show...

So many changes in the W household these days!  The end of the school year was an exciting one for all of us!

Peanut:
   He finished strong in the Frog class.  He grew both physically and socially with the wonderful Mrs. B.  He can write his name, knows all his letters, loves to count, identifies colors and shapes and loves school.  Seriously, he's quite upset when it's not a school day.  We had a follow up visit to Scottish Rite and at this point it looks like surgery will not be happening until he's 10-12 years old.  Wait, what?!  That's right!  The doctor wants to wait as long as possible and maybe we can predict enough of his growth pattern that we can get away with one surgery.  I'm optimistic and excited that we finally have a solid plan.

A Man:
  He's done with second grade and on to the next chapter in school as well as scouts.  He still has a love for his animals and finds great comfort in a little solitude once he's home from school.  He has become quite the little prankster around here.  I'm not quite sure where he gets it from. :)  His latest prank victim: Z.  While on a trip to the Thinkery he figured out some of the water table mechanisms and how to make the bucket completely unload in one spot.  He called Z over and said, "Look.  This is the best spot to watch the water."  Z, being the good brother, took A at his word and stood in 'the best spot'.  Ten seconds later Z was DOUSED!  A was laughing hysterically and Z was dumbfounded.  Gotta admit...it was beautiful.

Z  Diddy:
  I was incredibly sad to see him finish this year of school.  His teachers were beyond amazing!  I know it's not about me but in this case it really is.  His homeroom teacher worked with me to get him some extra help when it comes to handwriting.  Turns out, he qualifies for some special modifications in class and outside therapy.  It doesn't hurt that his therapist is a cute little blond thing named Caroline.  This coming school year he will have the opportunity to type assignments instead of write them out.  That right there makes me excited for him.  After years of frustration from Z and he and I butting heads over his "quality work" we finally have some answers...and help!  It is such a relief for both of us.  This would not have been possible without the help from his two teachers. 

Mr. M:
  He's had an amazing past few months.  The biggest accomplishment...he's an IRONMAN!  After a year of training and hours spent exercising he did it in 14 hours.  Who does anything for 14 hours?!  I think I may have been able to sleep that long when I was a teenager.  All the training paid off and the day was actually an enjoyable one for all.  I worried that the boys would get bored but we managed to have a really wonderful day spectating.  The energy throughout the entire race was contagious and it was hard not to have fun.  Each time we saw Matt we pumped him up (and I prayed).  It was our greatest endeavor.  Yes, it was ours.  I watched the boys while he trained so that medal is totally mine too!  I am so proud of him!

And Me?
  I have big news too.  After subbing at the preschool this past year and going to great lengths to show I am reliable, know what I'm doing and a joy to be around ;), I was offered a position within the school!  Yup.  Back to the classroom for me!  Now, I will admit I'm sceered.  I didn't get a two-day position.  I didn't get a three-day position.  I was offered a FIVE DAY position!  YIKES!  I will have the only five-day four year old class in the school.  Holy. Moly!  I have big shoes to fill but I'm pretty excited.  It could not be a better environment to re-enter the work world and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity.  So I've been spending my time preparing my Dr. Seuss classroom!

That about sums up our Where Are They Now? episode.  Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Bev Ochoa said...

What amazing accomplishments from all five of you! Very proud if our W family!!